Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Sail

We are headed out for an overnight sail to the Berry Islands. Hope its calm and as romantic as it sounds.  The day is beautiful so far, sunny, warm with a gentle breeze.
Yesterday was beautiful as well, The sun came out and warmed up the day, encouraging us to be outside. I kyaked to the beach, and walked along a lovely stretch of sand, collecting shells and pieces of coral, and later in the afternoon a boat of some bahamians came up with loads of conch and lobsters. Guess what we had for dinner? I've never cooked lobster before, but it was as delicious as it looked. Today was my first fantasy fullfilled day this trip. 


Lobsters for Dinner!


 After studying charts, wind and weather forecasts, we have decided to head for the Berry Islands tommorrow. I don't expect to find wifi there, so it might be a while before you hear from us, but I'll take lots of pictures to post when I do. I downloaded 5 books to stock up on reading materials, we are entirely electronic dependent these days with a kindle and ipad. Any book recommendations are welcome. We both spend a lot of time reading in the evenings.

I thought I would tell a little about Fishhead with some pictures of her down below, for those of you have seen her "put togeather".  Michael buit the boat 30+ years ago and is continually working on her. 

For this trip our new additions are a windless (electric anchor hoister) built up bulworks (raised sides above the deck), and finished out the inside of the boat complete with a head door! She is a cozy little boat, plenty of room for two people to sit, lounge, eat and sleep. little compared to every other boat we see. They are all wide and big and high above the water, so no one ever gets wet. Fishhead is more like a log cabin, compared to a condo.



eating, reading, projects, all happen here

V-berth where we sleep, separate beds on this boat



All the cooking happens in this little space.
The oven is on the other side.

5 comments:

  1. The Berry Islands, cool. Heading to Eleuthra? If so be sure and check out the cavern just north of Alice Town. I think it's still uncontrolled access. But be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here: 25° 22' 5.05" N 76° 31' 6.87" W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love it! Love it! I've cooked many a lobster that we speared! Yum...
    I'm so glad you're in that fantasy place after a rough start. There will be may more. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, glad you made it over, I'm on my way to Bimini myself on Monday if you're in the neighborhood we should get together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi you two. Sounds like things are leveling out. Cindy, I am now running the whole way to the church...just kidding, but I do miss you on those walks!

    ReplyDelete