This last week we spent slowly working our way up from one small island to another. Sunday's pig roast at Nippers on Guanna Cay was like Conch house reggea Sunday, but instead of cars, boats converge on the island, drop anchor and head in to party. All vacationers, drinking and whooping it up. I'm so mad I didn't bring my camera. We went back the next day and it was a ghost town. The whole Island is basically vacation homes.
But then we hit a string of really cool little uninhabited islands that have become some of my fondest memories of this trip. We have spent days exploring, walking down paths made by others before us, snorkeling, walking on miles of deserted beaches with no footprints but our own. Sometimes the trash that washes up on the beach is as interesting as the shells and shore life, and sometimes it hard to determine which is which. I spent all this time trying to get a picture of some lacy looking black seaweed dancing in the shallow water, and it turned out to be a mostly buried black garbage bag!The water is crystal clear, and some of the pictures of sea life don't even look like they are taken thru a foot or more of water. I love being in these isolated spots.
Our food stores are getting down to the bottom, we have plenty to eat, but mostly canned and dried at this point (Michael still has some coke left).
At the rate we were traveling there was probably a week left till we hit the end of the islands, next stop Florida. I say were because weather reports started forcasting strong winds and possible squalls for 5-6 days, which means we have to hole up somewhere. We have backtracked to Manjack Cay, a protected anchorage which had a lot more exploring potential to it. I'd be happy here for the whole time, but Michael is wanting to be at Green Turtle, a populated island with amenities (including ice cream stores) next down. :( Maybe we will split our time between them.
 |
| remember this tree |
 |
| the day after at Nippers |
 |
| Uninhabited No Name Cay's driftwood tables |
When the wind dies down we will resume our trip up the islands and the end of our trip and home is on the horizon. I'm looking forward to it.
 |
The first conch we saw anywhere in the Bahamas, and there were lots of them.
They were all too young to collect. |
 |
| underwater! |
 |
| some kind of coral I think |
 |
| another conch on the move |
 |
| Ocean trash shrine? |
No comments:
Post a Comment