Friday, March 25, 2011

We caught a fish!!!

March 22


After a perfect day of sailing 35 miles from Eluthra to the top of the Exumas, dragging our line as always, a mahi mahi struck our lure. We were right near the ledge of deep water ocean to  the shallower shelf  around the islands. Michael instantly announces we have to lower the sails, the seas kicked up  to a rough mess, and we had to line up for entrance into Highborne Cut channel. So pandimanioum began. The boat is rocking and rolling, the tiller is hard to control, and an unknown fish is dragging behind us on a 200 lb test line (thank you Vaughn and Jean!). I pull in the line after the sails are set, but the boat is a struggle to stear, and a beautiful mahi mahi comes up along the boat. We have no net or gaff nearby and we almost loose it as we flop the fish into the cockpit where is flops around ingnored as we navigate our way thru the islands.
Once anchored, our next big challenge is how to clean it. Neither of us have any experience, so we muck our way thru, ending up with big chunks of fish with bones. It was delicious, and is going to be several nights of dinner. Maybe some of you can tell the weight by the picture, I was thinking 10 lbs? 

Sharks appeared instantly as we threw head and fins overboard. We think they are nurse sharks.
Also today I made my plane reservations to fly to Fort Lauderdale Mch 27 to spend 5 days with Anna and family. I'm really looking forward to it. Michael will stay tucked in to Staniel Cay while I'm gone.


I want to say that I love the comments and emails I get from everyone, even if I don't reply. Internet access is so spotty and limited, by the time I get it, I have a short time to handle everything, but hearing from you is so heartwarming, and makes me feel the connection to my "other life".

No comments:

Post a Comment